Breast Reduction Surgery
You should start preparing for the breast reduction plastic surgery procedure and inherent recovery process as the date of surgery gets closer. Generally, you can expect to follow the below-mentioned timeline. This will be explained in detail by the surgeon’s team.
Preparation Instructions to Follow One Month Before Surgery
- Tests: You may need to get certain blood tests, urinary pregnancy tests, and other tests performed to confirm that you are in good health for the surgical procedure. This may include a mammogram or ECG if you are over the age of 55.
- Prescriptions: We recommend filling prescriptions before the day of surgery
- Smoking: You should quit smoking at least 6 weeks before the procedure if you are a smoker. Smoking can increase the risk of complications.
Preparation Instructions to Follow 1 – 2 Weeks Before the Procedure
- Arranging for help: You may need a ride home following the surgery. You should ask your family or friends to help you begin your recovery.
- Stopping medications: Your surgeon may ask you to stop taking certain medications, supplements, and vitamins two weeks before the surgery because of their interfering nature
- Preparing your home: You should consider stocking up on food and placing certain objects you would need within close reach. You should make other required preparations for a comfortable recovery in advance since you won’t be able to move around much.
Preparation Instructions to Follow a Day Before the Procedure
- Take off your nail polish: You need to remove acrylic nails and nail polish before the procedure. This is because a particular device will be clipped to your fingers for measuring oxygen levels. Artificial nails and nail polish can interfere with this.
- Wash your hair and shower: It will be difficult to complete these hygiene habits during your recovery. You may want to get them done before the surgical procedure. Make sure you avoid using any deodorants or lotions before the procedure.
- Fasting: Specific instructions on when to stop drinking or eating will be explained to you beforehand. If your surgery is in the morning, you would need to avoid drinking any clear liquids and water two hours before the surgery and to stop eating at midnight.
Medical Tests before Breast Reduction
You would need to undergo a physical examination before the breast reduction procedure can be scheduled. Patients also need to get a Complete Blood Count (CBC) test for establishing their eligibility for the breast reduction surgery.
You may need a mammogram for detecting the presence of abnormal masses if you are above the age of 40 or have a history of breast cancer. You may be required to schedule a mammogram for detecting the presence of abnormal masses.
Medications that You May Have to Avoid
Certain medications should be stopped before the breast reduction cosmetic surgery procedure as these may interfere with the healing process or anesthesia. Herbal supplements, NSAIDs, blood thinners, and dietary supplements, such as vitamin E should be avoided in consultation with your surgeon.
Questions? Book a Consultation Now.
Contact Houston / Webster, Texas Plastic Surgeon Shitel D. Patel, MD at Lift Plastic Surgery.
Serving patients in Houston Texas, Webster, The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Katy, Friendswood, Pearland, League City, Richmond, Spring, Humble, Kingwood, Stafford, Cypress, Fulshear, Missouri City, River Oaks, Piney Point, Hunters Creek, Memorial Close In, Bunker Hill, Southside Place, Afton Oaks, Tanglewood, Crestwoods and all other surrounding Greater Houston, Texas communities and more.