Breast Augmentation Candidates
The decision to get a major plastic surgery procedure such as breast augmentation is a personal one. It should be made only after careful consideration of all possible factors. However, before going ahead with a breast enhancement surgery, you would need to establish that you are a suitable candidate for it.
Establishing Candidacy for Breast Augmentation
One of the key parts of determining candidacy for breast enhancement cosmetic surgery involves asking a question that only you can truthfully answer – ‘Why do I want to get larger breasts?’
The answer is quite simple for some women while it is anything but that for others. It’s possible for you to be considering breast implant cosmetic surgery for a wide variety of reasons with some factors being more personal than others. Here are a few common reasons for women to undergo breast augmentation surgery:
- Making breasts more proportionate to the rest of the body
- Improving symmetry between differently shaped or sized breasts
- Feeling more attractive and feminine
- Restoring volume following pregnancy, weight loss, or breastfeeding
- Correcting congenital deformities in a single or both breasts
- Adding volume to breasts that did not fully develop following puberty in a condition called micromastia
Health Requirements for Breast Augmentation
You need to be in good general health for undergoing surgical procedure. Make sure you disclose autoimmune conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and other conditions to your surgeon. These could interfere with your healing ability.
Suitable candidates for breast augmentation procedure are:
- Nonsmokers or willing to quit smoking for the prescribed period before and after the surgery
- Reasonably fit and near the ideal weight
- Free from infections and bleeding tendencies
- Willing to eliminate or reduce alcohol consumption during the healing period
- Not breastfeeding or pregnant
- Free from pre-cancerous and cancerous tissues
Use of silicone implants in breast enhancement procedure is restricted by the FDA to women aged 22 and above. This restriction includes gummy bear or ultra-cohesive implants. However, women ages 18 and above can get saline breast implants. The placement of breast implants in women that are younger than 18 years of age is allowed in case of congenital deformities and injuries.
Setting Reasonable Expectations
Besides being in decent overall health, the best candidates for breast enhancement procedure are the ones that are well-informed about the procedure. They should also have reasonable expectations from the procedure. You should be fully aware of the side effects and potential risks.
Breast implants can help in boosting confidence and kick-starting a path to improved self-esteem when done properly. However, this is only to a certain degree. You should set realistic expectations about what the procedure can or cannot do for you to be truly satisfied with the results.
Questions? Book a Consultation Now.
Contact Houston, Texas Plastic Surgeons Shitel D. Patel, MD and Tuan A. Truong, MD, FACS, FAAP:
Serving patients in Houston TX, Webster, The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Katy, Friendswood, Pearland, League City, Richmond, Spring, Humble, Kingwood, Stafford, Cypress, Fulshear, Missouri City, River Oaks, Piney Point, Hunters Creek, Memorial Close In, Bunker Hill, Southside Place, Afton Oaks, Tanglewood, Crestwoods and all other surrounding Greater Houston, Texas communities and more.