Breast Reduction Questions
Thousands of women each year have breast reduction surgery performed in the United States. You can better decide whether the procedure is for you or not by consulting with a qualified plastic surgeon. You will learn a lot about the procedure during the consultation.
Questions You Should Consider Asking Your Plastic Surgeon Prior to Breast Reduction Surgery
- Are you an ABPS board certified plastic surgeon?
Board certified plastic surgeons are highly trained and experienced in plastic surgery. This certification from the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) is awarded only when the surgeon complete mandatory education and training and after a rigorous selection process.
Surgeons are also required to clear comprehensive oral and written examinations. You can be more confident in a surgeon’s skillset and abilities when they are board certified. You can be sure that they will thoroughly educate you about various aspects of the procedure and perform it successfully.
- What is your experience in performing breast surgery procedures?
Every board-certified plastic surgeon doesn’t specialize in performing breast surgery. You should ask your surgeon:
- Number of years of experience in performing breast surgery
- Number of completed patient cases
- Frequency of performing breast surgery
- Where will you perform the breast reduction surgery?
Plastic surgeons have the option to perform the surgery in:
- On-site surgical facility
- Outpatient surgery center
- Do you think I am a suitable candidate?
You are probably a suitable candidate for the procedure if:
- Your breasts are excessively large for your body frame
- You suffer from poor posture because of the weight of breasts
- The weight of the breasts causes physical pain, skin irritation, and discomfort in the back, neck and shoulder
- Your physical activity is restricted
- You feel self-conscious
- Do you have before and after photographs of former patients?
Before and after photographs will help you understand the kind of results to expect. You can ask to see images based on your gender – female or male.
- How many cup sizes can be reduced?
The plastic surgeon will let you know the extent of breast tissue that can be removed following the exam. The surgeon needs to leave enough tissue for allowing the nipple and skin to heal. They will understand your preferences and the kind of results you hope to achieve.
- How long will the surgery last?
Breast reduction procedure can last for 2 – 3 hours on an average. However, you will be kept under anesthesia for 4 hours.
- What type of risks and complications are involved?
Serious complications and risks are rare. However, all surgical procedures have some form of risk. Your cosmetic surgeon will explain the risks based on the condition of your breast tissue and skin, and health history.
- Will the surgery leave any scars?
Most scars following a breast reduction surgery fade away within a year. Your cosmetic surgeon will give you tips to minimize scarring by applying ointments and avoiding sunlight.
Questions? Book a Consultation Now.
Contact Houston / Webster, Texas Plastic Surgeon Shitel D. Patel, MD at Lift Plastic Surgery.
Serving patients in Houston Texas, Webster, The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Katy, Friendswood, Pearland, League City, Richmond, Spring, Humble, Kingwood, Stafford, Cypress, Fulshear, Missouri City, River Oaks, Piney Point, Hunters Creek, Memorial Close In, Bunker Hill, Southside Place, Afton Oaks, Tanglewood, Crestwoods and all other surrounding Greater Houston, Texas communities and more.