Facial fat grafting is a popular cosmetic surgery procedure to restore facial volume and enhance facial contours. At the time of initial consultation, the surgeon will discuss various aspects of the procedure to educate the patient. Some surgeons may also present facial fat grafting before and after photographs at this time.
What are Facial Fat Grafting Before and After Images?
Facial fat grafting ‘before and after’ images refer to a set of photographs pertaining to a previous patient who has undergone the same surgery. The set includes images taken prior to the surgery and after the surgery at a stage when the initial redness and swelling has been resolved and full effects of facial fat grafting are visible.
These images can serve as an effective visual aid to help a new patient understand the facial fat grafting cosmetic surgery procedure clearly and make an informed decision. Before and after pictures are presented discreetly before new patients and with the full consent of the patient. The surgeon may keep the patient’s identity confidential as per the standard protocol.
In some cases, it may be difficult to explain the real effectiveness of facial fat grafting in words. The surgeon can make use of before and after photos to clearly show visual results of the procedure. Some patients may be unsure whether to choose facial fat transfer as an independent procedure or in conjunction with a facelift or an upper face surgery.
Some patients may need only limited fat transfer in the cheeks, while some others may require significant fat transplant in the cheeks, jawline and around the eyes. In each case, the patient will be better placed to make the right choices when they have access to facial fat grafting before and after photos.
It is important for a patient to know clearly what the facial fat grafting surgery can or cannot do for them. If the patient misunderstands and forms wrong expectations, the final results can be disappointing, even if the surgeon has performed the procedure successfully.
Such unpleasant situations can be avoided with the help of facial fat grafting before and after photos. The surgeon may use these pictures to ensure that the patient forms realistic expectations in order to achieve satisfactory results.
The surgeon has an option to present facial fat grafting before and after photos on their practice website or you can perhaps see before and after pictures during the consultation that is offered to all prospective patients. This can allow free access to the photos to anyone who wishes to learn more about the procedure and its potential outcomes.
You can apply what you see on the screen to your own face. It is not virtual reality and it does not predict the future for you but digital pictures offers you a pretty clear shot on what to expect when and if you sign up for this type of procedure. This is because you can see what someone else has gone through and apply it to yourself because digital pictures offers that type of clarity.
How to Review Before-and-After Photos in Plastic Surgery
Reviewing before-and-after photographs is a great way to get a feel for a surgeon’s skills and sense of aesthetics about a specific cosmetic procedure. Although these photos are abundant online, reviewing them in person at the surgeon’s office is more desirable because of these three reasons:
- The majority of patients do not allow their before-and-after images to be posted online, but usually allow them to be reviewed in person at the surgeon’s office.
- You can pick out images of patients who have the same age, gender, body type, and cosmetic concerns as you.
- You can directly ask questions to your surgeon immediately after you review the photographs.
What to Look for in Before and After Photographs
Not all before and after photographs are created equal. Here are the crucial things to consider when reviewing images to help you find an experienced surgeon who is not only skilled but also pays meticulous attention to detail.
- Ask for photographs of previous patients who are the same age, gender, ethnicity, body type, and build as you. By doing so, you will be able to visualize how you will look after surgery.
- Check for symmetry, not perfection, in the after photos. Expecting perfection following plastic surgery is impossible. Instead, it pays to check for balance in both breasts, arms, eyes, cheeks, or hips.
- Look for consistency in the pose and lighting of the photographs. The presence of inconsistencies is an indicator that the surgeon has something to hide or is not fully confident in his or her skills.
- Examine the after photographs for scars. There is no such thing as a scar-free cosmetic procedure but a good plastic surgeon can make a scar appear as inconspicuous as possible.
- Go with your gut. Ask yourself if you generally like how the after photograph looks.
Questions? Book a Consultation Now.
Contact Houston, Texas Plastic Surgeons Shitel D. Patel, MD and Tuan A. Truong, MD, FACS, FAAP:
Serving patients in Greater Houston Texas, including but not limited to Webster, The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Katy, Friendswood, Pearland, League City, Richmond, Spring, Humble, Kingwood, Stafford, Cypress, Fulshear, Missouri City, River Oaks, Piney Point, Hunters Creek, Bunker Hill, Southside Place, Afton Oaks, Tanglewood, Crestwoods, West University Place, Southside Place, Woodland Heights, Hyde Park, Timbergrove, Montrose, and all other surrounding communities.